Came across this when I was in London yesterday. The Congolese community have been holding demonstrations in London to raise some awareness of what is happening in the Democratic Republic of Congo, as there is very little news coverage of it.
In general the country has suffered years of civil war, during which millions of people have died. There was a recent “democratic” election in which the current government was voted back in, although it is believed to have been rigged. Protests are banned in the Congo; people have been killed for protesting against the recent election.
Western countries source a lot of natural minerals from Congo (such as gold, colbalt etc which go into making our electronics). Much of the voilence in the country stems from this with women and children being raped and killed to gain control over the mining villages.
- missmuyoyo likes this
- the-angelicious-world reblogged this from emma-honess and added:
- leandraher90 likes this
- eklecticsoul reblogged this from emma-honess
- beautifuleruption reblogged this from emma-honess and added:
- heyhohope likes this
- icgreeneyes reblogged this from johnxdoe
- princepariah reblogged this from johnxdoe
- johnxdoe reblogged this from emma-honess
- emma-honess posted this